Oak’s mission is to revolutionize retail. We elegantly infuse technology into brick-and-mortar retail: creating intelligent, purposeful, and beautiful experiences that prove an ROI and serve as a step-function jump from anything the world has ever seen. We aim to accelerate retail. All $12 Trillion of it.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER - FULL STACK W/ FRONT-END FOCUS
We’re growing. Quickly. One might even say, "hella" quickly. This is why we need you. You will be a senior member of the Technology Staff, collaborating side by side with our CTO, and helping to grow our company from the ground up. You’re an expert at beautifully constructing code that is easy to follow and pushes the boundary of new form-factor interactions. You’re organized. You’re a great communicator. Nothing gets by you - and you get ahead of problems before they’re an issue. You’re cool under fire, love pressure, and at ease in any scenario.
You will be responsible for crushing out web-applications in a highly fluid and extremely creative environment. You will weave a balance between multiple design disciplines and engineering functions working in lock-step with all parties to push beyond boundaries and provide thoughtful solutions. Your contributions will give our products a unique tangibility and a visual ‘soul’.
- An understanding and deep appreciation for design systems and visual methodologies.
- A BS in Computer Science (Masters would be awesome, but not required).
- A love for node.js + HTML5 (WEB GL & 3JS experience a huge +++).
- Prior experience with node.js, but comfortable with multiple languages (but if you call yourself a "polyglot" on LinkedIn don’t apply. Serious af).
- Prior experience with mobile native app development (android, iOS… windows not needed. LOL but seriously) - a plus not required.
- A blend between design and front-end.
- You are linux.
- An inclination to GSD.
- You don’t "love" being told what to do: you understand the situation and are comfortable making decisions. Forgiveness, not permission.
- You find a work-around when there is no work-around.
Retail is at an inflection point. The store experience hasn’t changed in 100 years - and while the efficiency and convenience of ecommerce has accelerated consumer expectations about convenience and choice, physical retail still remains 94% of all commerce. Single-branded stores are the most preferred way to shop and retailers are struggling to find impactful, costeffective, and scalable solutions to elevate their experience. Options today are limited to agencies (expensive, one-off), and internal teams (expensive, often not top talent). While customers continue to evolve (54% of customers want in-store touch-screens), retailers are struggling to innovate. Those investing in digital integration are winning (Bonobos, Warby Parker, Nordstrom), and those which aren’t are losing (RadioShack, Circuit City). Oak will help the winners win. The retail SaaS application space in 2014 was $31.2B market and growing.
APPROACH & SOLUTION
Oak approaches the physical world like the web: in-store “sessions” are identical to online sessions. We identify acute moments of opportunity for technology to remove friction and provide a real utility, build beautiful products that wow customers, and collect data that has previously been lost, like items a customer doesn’t purchase after a fitting session, in-store browsing patterns, and even conversions per SKU (versus just velocity).APPLY